la foudre


In 5th grade, I asked my best friend what her future aspirations were. She confidently replied, "I want to get married and have children." I was puzzled by this and inquired, "You'd be satisfied with just being a housewife?" When everyone dreamed of marriage and children, I dreamed of everything but that. I wanted to be a scientist, dermatologist, lawyer, or entrepreneur. 

My aspirations for the future may be a little different now, but what I didn't dream of remains the same. Growing up in a broken home has ultimately led to my disdain for marriage and children. I'm afraid to commit the same mistakes as my parents. My parents didn't dream of the things I dreamed about when they were 10. I'm sure this is not the life my mom wanted, she wanted to explore the vast possibilities that life has to offer. 

I respect other people's values and principles, but don't expect me to be on the same page as you. It's essential that we have goals and future aspirations. We all need something to look forward to. So follow your dreams, no matter how absurd it may be. Would you rather give up before you even had the chance to bring that dream to light? The truth is, behind every successful person is many years of failure and perseverance.  

Image credit: kyomitsu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

two sided coin