a pack of wolves

I've been rather fatigued lately. Between going to classes and work, any free time is usually spent by sleeping or reading a good book. I was going to sleep but I figured I'd write an update. I'm not really looking forward to work, but the monetary benefit is the main contributing factor to my eagerness. Honestly, ever since I started working there the whole experience has been nothing but a power play.

Yes, it has brought our families a little closer. But I cannot deny that the dormant competition between us has resurfaced once again. We had dinner to celebrate my aunt and my sister's birthday just yesterday. It was a friendly affair but it was laced with poignant hostility. I felt rather uncomfortable about it. There is a reason why I never particularly warmed to my family, that occasion was one of them.

I was reading one of Tobias Wolff's books and one particular line he wrote resonated with wisdom and truth. Power can be enjoyed only when it is recognized and feared. Fearlessness in those without power is maddening to those with power. When we fear someone, we give them power over us. But what happens when we no longer fear that person?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

two sided coin