It takes 3 years to grow the fruit of a peach and chestnut


When I was a kid, we did abseiling at camp. After that experience, my fear of heights did not alleviate but rather reinforced itself. It took a lot of courage for me to even climb up that cliff and look down at the nervous faces below. I stood over the edge of the cliff, leaned backwards and started taking a few steps down the cliff. Well the person in charge of the ropes sort of let out too much rope, so I went sliding down more than half of the cliff.

I think I have every reason to be afraid after that. A friend and I decided to go to the fair, we came across the  chained carousel pictured above. The fear of heights was mutual between us, but we decided to give it a go. We sat down in the seats and noticed the children were unable to contain their excitement. We merely exchanged worried glances.

I was concerned that the chain might snap whilst I was in mid air and I would be propelled to my inevitable death. What if I accidentally kicked the little girl seated in front of me or maybe I'd drop my shoes onto an unsuspecting spectator below... As soon as the chairs begun to lift, I held onto the chains with my dear life. I was still freaking out by the time the ride started, my hands were sweating, the chains were digging into my palms.

Eventually it wasn't so bad. I had to let go of the chains a little, my hands were really hurting. I figured I should open my eyes after keeping them shut for half the time, it was only then that I realized my fear seemed so little. I was marveled by the sights and sounds below, I didn't care if my shoe was going to land on a spectator below. Sometimes you need to let go of your fears and inhibitions in order to really live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

two sided coin

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night