social assimilation


We're all expected to lead a certain life, but who is to dictate the confines of normality? We go through years of education and training, get married, have kids, shoulder a mortgage and live a fruitful life. People are often shocked to hear that marriage or children are not part of my plan for life. They're shocked because marriage and children are qualities which define a woman, I don't believe in that. In fact, I am often quite offended by this one dimensional thinking.

When I read that a certain female politician was judged by fellow politicians and certain religious groups about her choices, I thought it was completely out of line. Who is to say that a person who chooses to live a life without religion, children or even marriage is going to be a bad person or make bad choices? Is it not right for someone to shape their own life according to how they see fit?

Don't get me wrong, my friends have children and I adore them. I just can't picture myself as a mother, perhaps this view will change as time progresses... How else will you learn and grow if you live a completely safe life? We learn to appreciate what we have when we have experienced loss and the aftermath of mistakes. I'm going to live my life at my own pace and according to my own set of ideals.

Image credit: pictureimperfect

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

two sided coin

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night