modern social context


Here I am again, in an all too familiar environment, everyone is asleep and I find myself amongst the quiet recesses of my dimly lit living room. My highlighters, pens and journal articles are scattered across the table and chairs. An observer would say this is what utter chaos and disorder looks like, although I contend, this looks like productivity.

I enjoy this, despite how unhealthy it is for a recovering insomniac. There's a feeling that I cannot dispel, these quiet moments invoke inspiration. I haven't anticipated on staying up all night, it was a habit that I thought I was finally rid of. But alas, here I am wrapped in a blanket and sitting before my laptop. I've got to be more organised and motivated.

We live in an increasingly connected society, this is the accelerated digital age. One of the qualms of this age is that we seek to remain connected to people through social networking, yet we fail to really connect to people in our day to day lives. Personally, I don't like to fiddle around on my phone when I'm with someone. Is it so wrong to expect the same out of someone else?

We hope to be connected to others, the ironic thing is that we cannot even connect to the person physically next to us. Perhaps the next time you're out with someone, switch your phone to silent or lower the volume. Conversation is not obsolete, surely that string of text messages can wait a while. Commit the time and effort to really starting and maintaining a conversation with someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

two sided coin