BHK



Recently I've been thinking about a childhood friend of mine, I often wondered when things started to go wrong. We were always together; we joined the choir, keyboard classes and the school dance groups together. Whenever people made fun of how clumsy she was, I defended her. I've always known how difficult things were at home for her, I've seen how tough her parents were. Slowly but surely, we drifted apart as high school progressed.

A few years ago, I ran into her parents on the train. They were really disappointed in her, she didn't live up to their ideals. She was kicked out of her home by her own parents, I know her sister misses her dearly. I wish her parents would just accept her as she is. A little bit of parental pressure can be a good thing, but an excessive amount leads to rebelling.

Today she has chosen to turn to illicit drugs, her idea of fun involves alcohol and a concoction of pills. It makes me feel so disheartened to see her like this and I know I shouldn't judge her for these choices. I often wonder if this would've been the same outcome if I made more of an effort to listen and talk to her during high school. She has a partner, she's doing what she enjoys and most importantly, she's happy with her life now. Isn't the latter what matters most?

Image credit: bird-fix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

two sided coin

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night