let the past make you better, not bitter


The general consensus is that everyone enjoys birthdays, particularly their own. I'm quite indifferent when it comes to my own birthday, but I'm excited about attending other people's birthday get togethers. I guess I don't really like my own birthday, I'm not worried about ageing just yet. My grandfather passed away a few years ago, coincidently his death was a fortnight before my birthday. I remember spending many days leading up to my birthday and after just grieving.

I didn't come to terms with his death for a long time. I remember crying on a few birthdays after his death, but always in private. I've come to accept his passing yet I still cannot warm to the very idea of my own birthday. I suppose I look forward to the birthday cake. Theres some comfort in seeing everyone huddled around the lit candles, smiling and singing. Everything else is rudimentary.


There are people we meet that enrich our lives, I think I have found these significant people. We met a few years ago in university, I consider them to be my nearest and dearest. I don't really have trouble conveying my thoughts and feelings to them and I'm grateful to have met them. It's not the about the duration of the friendship which matters most, we're like-minded people and we're always there for each other. We meet people for a reason, season or a lifetime; I hope that we will be the latter.

Image credit: inspirinquotes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eclectic thoughts and experiences

two sided coin

i have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night